As a small business owner looking to set up a website, there are tons of website builders to consider. All of them are superior in their rights.
To help you save time, we have compiled a list of the best ones you should go for.
We used the following factors to review and compare them:
- Ease of use - An intuitive interface and a user-friendly editor that allows you to easily create and customize without the need for coding skills.
- Responsive design - Does the website builder offer responsive templates and the ability to create a mobile-friendly website? With 58.33% of global website traffic from mobile devices, your website must look and function well on different screen sizes.
- SEO features - Web builders that offer built-in SEO tools or integrations to help optimize your website for search engines.
- Integration with third-party apps - How many integrations with external apps and services do they offer? Things like email marketing tools, CRM systems, or payment gateways.
- Affordability - The pricing plans and the features and resources offered in each plan. Do they offer the best value for your money?
- Design templates and functionality - The quality of design templates the website builder offers. Do they have templates for different industries?
- Good reputation and reviews - Customer reviews and ratings are the best social proof. What are the customers saying about the web builder?
If you’re unsure which one to go with, we recommend Durable. Durable lets you generate an entire website with images and copy in 30 seconds.
Best website builders for small businesses
- Durable - For small businesses looking for a quick and easy website builder with a whole suite of included AI features.
- Wix - For businesses looking for a website builder with many features and templates.
- Squarespace - Ideal for creative industries, such as photographers, artists, and designers.
- WordPress.org - For small businesses that require a highly customizable platform. Ideal for content-heavy websites and bloggers.
- Webflow - Suitable for design-savvy small businesses or startups that need advanced customization options and want to create visually appealing websites.
- Weebly - Convenient for small businesses without much technical expertise. Great for small online stores.
- GoDaddy - For small businesses looking for a simple, affordable website builder with integrated marketing tools. Suitable for various industries.
- Zyro - Ideal if you’re looking for a streamlined website creation process.
- Shopify - Best for small businesses focused on online retail.
- 10Web - For businesses looking to leverage the speed of AI in web building
- HostGator - The most affordable website builder.
Let’s look at these website builders in detail and see why they deserve to be on the list.
1. Durable - Best overall website builder for small businesses
Durable is our number one recommended website builder.
With Durable, you can build a website for your small business, complete with copy and images in only 30 seconds.
Durable simplifies the challenges of launching and managing a small business.
So how does this 30-second AI website builder work? We’ll show you.
- Head to the homepage, click “Generate your website.”
- Durable automatically locates where you’re based. You might see a pop-up on the left top of your browser asking for you to grant location access. Click “Allow.”
- Next, click “Get Started.”
- Enter the type of business you’re building (click on “See some suggestions” if you’re unsure).
- Enter your business name (If you don’t have one, click “See some suggestions”).
- The website automatically generates.
- To edit the content or anything else, you just need to sign up.
If you’re unhappy with the result, you can click “Regenerate” and let AI do its thing.
This AI-driven creation process eliminates the need for you to hire developers, copywriters, or graphic designers.
After you sign up, you can easily edit and customize your AI website to meet your needs and preferences.
Beyond just the AI website builder, Durable has a suite of AI-focused tools designed to assist you. These include:
- A Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system
- An invoicing tool
- An AI assistant
- An AI blog builder
Features and benefits
AI website builder
Durable's flagship feature is its AI website builder, which can produce a complete website with images and content in 30 seconds.
This technology drastically reduces the time and effort needed to create a website. Small businesses can get online quickly without spending days or weeks on website development.
Comprehensive AI suite
The AI-driven tools, such as a CRM, invoicing system, and an AI assistant, ensure that you have an integrated solution for various operational needs.
From managing customer interactions through the CRM to sending out invoices seamlessly, Durable provides a holistic approach to managing an online business.
The onboarding process with Durable is intuitive. It guides you from homepage interaction to website generation in a few simple steps.
A frictionless onboarding experience ensures you can start benefiting from the platform immediately and with no technical knowledge required.
Durable has two packages in its plan:
- Starter - $12 per month, billed annually.
- Business - $20 per month, also billed annually.
Durable also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and the ability to cancel anytime.
Here is how Durable performed on our review scale:
2. Wix - Best for choice of templates
Wix website builder offers a broad spectrum of tools — like Wix Bookings — designed for small businesses.
With Wix, you can choose from 900+ free professionally designed templates or create your design using the intuitive drag-and-drop interface.
Wix also offers a variety of business-specific features and tools, such as e-commerce functionality, bookings, subscriptions, and marketing.
Additionally, Wix has a large app market that allows you to add even more functionality to your website.
Features and benefits
Easy sign-up and seamless user experience
The sign-up process is easy. You just need to create an account using an email and password.
After signing up, Wix showcases an intuitive drag-and-drop editor that you can use to design your website without any coding knowledge.
Versatile design templates
Wix has over 900 templates that are grouped into industries.
With a wide selection of templates, you can create a website with a unique, professional look that aligns with your brand image without hiring a professional designer.
Comprehensive E-commerce tools
The e-commerce tool makes Wix an all-in-one solution, streamlining the process of setting up an online store. This is a game-changer for small businesses aiming to expand their digital footprint.
However, the e-commerce plans are a bit pricey.
More features that make Wix stand out include:
- The newly introduced Wix ADI AI Site Generator.
- Wix SEO Wiz - Provides personalized SEO recommendations.
- Wix Logo Maker - This allows you to create a professional-looking logo for your business.
Wix has four plans. The most popular is the Unlimited Plan, which costs $12.50 per month. It’s ideal for freelancers and entrepreneurs.
The other plans are:
- VIP - $24.50 per month. This plan gives you priority customer care services.
- Combo - $8.50 per month for personal use.
- Connect Domain - This is the most basic plan. It goes for $4.50 per month. This package displays Wix branding.
3. Squarespace - Best for creatives
Squarespace is often picked as the best website builder for creative businesses because of its focus on design and aesthetics.
It offers a range of beautiful, customizable templates specifically designed to showcase the work of artists, photographers, designers, and other creative professionals.
The platform also offers a variety of features and tools that tailored to the needs of creative businesses, such as:
- Portfolio pages
- Image galleries
- e-commerce functionality
The platform’s drag-and-drop interface makes it easy to create a professional website.
Features and benefits
Squarespace is highly regarded for its visually striking and minimalist designs.
“Minimalist” refers to a design style that prioritizes the essential elements of a website. This makes the website simple and easy to navigate.
Accelerated mobile pages (AMP)
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is a technology that creates lightweight web page versions to help load faster on mobile devices.
Squarespace supports AMP for blog posts, which helps improve the mobile browsing experience for your visitors.
Multiple contributors and access levels
Squarespace allows you to invite multiple people to log in and work on your site by adding them as contributors. You can assign each contributor different permissions, depending on their role and responsibilities.
Some of the permission levels include:
- Website Editor
- Scheduling Editor, and more
Squarespace gives you a free 14 days trial when you sign up. To upgrade, these are their plans:
- Personal - $16 per month
- Business - $23 per month
- Commerce Basic - $27 per month
- Commerce Advanced - $49 per month
All the plans give you a mobile-optimized website and templates to fit your needs.
For a fully integrated e-commerce website, you need the Business plan and higher.
4. WordPress.org - Best for flexibility
WordPress.org is on our list as it’s one the best open-source platforms for building custom websites because of its flexibility, powerful features, and a large community of users and developers.
WordPress.org allows you to create any custom site with intuitive editing, flexible design tools, and powerful features to manage it all.
Additionally, it has over 60,000 plugins available. You can, therefore, extend the functionality of your website to suit specific needs.
Note if you’re not comfortable with managing your hosting and domain, you may find it too much of a learning curve to set up and maintain a WordPress.org site.
Features and benefits
Being open-source means that the source code is freely available to the public. This encourages collaboration and continuous improvement.
This allows for a high level of flexibility when building a website and ensures that you are not locked into a proprietary platform with limited options for customization.
Extensive blogging features
WordPress started as a blogging platform and, as such, has extensive blogging features.
It allows differentiation between posts and pages, offers a user-friendly editor, content organization via tags and categories, and the ability to moderate user comments.
Complete monetization freedom
With WordPress.org, there are no restrictions on the ad networks you can use.
As a website owner, you can freely integrate any ad network, such as Google AdSense or Mediavine, allowing for more monetization options and potential revenue streams.
WordPress.org is a free, open-source platform. However, there are costs associated with using WordPress.org to build a website.
These costs include:
- Web hosting - To use WordPress.org, you will need to sign up for a web hosting account to host your website. The cost of web hosting varies depending on the provider and the plan you choose, but you can expect to pay anywhere from a few dollars to several hundred dollars per year.
- Domain name - You will also need to purchase a domain name for your website, which typically costs around $10-$15 per year.
- Premium themes and plugins - While there are many free themes and plugins available for WordPress.org, you can purchase premium themes or plugins to extend the functionality of your site. The cost of these premium products varies but can range from a few dollars to several hundred dollars.
5. Webflow - Best for SaaS companies
Webflow is a SaaS application that allows you to build responsive websites with browser-based visual editing software.
With Webflow, you have the power to craft personalized websites that grant you complete control over user experience.
Using Webflow, you can:
- Design content-rich layouts
- Establish unique e-commerce platforms
- Generate revenue from exclusive member content
- Curate captivating experiences through dynamic interactions and animations
Feature and benefits
This is Webflow's stand-out feature. It lets you engage in real-time visual building, enabling you to see your designs come to life as you create them.
This interactivity and flexibility are optimized for many website genres, eliminating the barriers of conventional coding.
Webflow allows you to select from its attractive templates or start from scratch. This ensures each website tells its unique story, reflecting the individuality of its creator.
With Workspace plans, collaboration is a breeze. Teams can converge their ideas, creating a cohesive digital masterpiece.
Webflow has two site plans: The General Plan and the Ecommerce plan.
- Starter - Free
- Basic - $14 per month
- CMS - $23 per month
- Business - $39 per month
- Enterprise - Custom pricing
E-commerce Plan - Contains features for online retailers
- Standard - $29 per month
- Plus - $74 per month
- Advanced - $212 per month
6. Weebly - Best for small online stores
Weebly, now part of the Square family, has a beginner-friendly interface and is affordable.
It empowers even the most non-technical users to bring their digital vision to life.
Weebly’s stand-out feature is its intuitive design and functionality.
Weebly also provides versatility with its dual editor system: the classic site builder and the e-commerce builder. You can use Weebly for straightforward site creation and more complex e-commerce platforms, depending on your preference and needs.
Features and benefits
Weebly lets you easily update your site into an e-commerce CMS. This means you can sell products or services directly from your website.
Various apps and integrations
Weebly has many apps you can use if no integration is available.
“If Weebly doesn't include an integration you need, it most likely has an app that will solve your problem.”
This provides flexibility and customization options for your website.
SEO and marketing tools
Weebly has built-in tools for search engine optimization (SEO), lead generation, and statistical analysis.
It's particularly beneficial for businesses aiming to expand their online reach and improve conversion rates.
Weebly offers a range of pricing options, including a free plan. Here is a breakdown of their pricing plans:
- Free Plan - $0 per month. Best for users on a budget.
- Personal Plan - $10 per month billed annually.
- Professional Plan - $12 per month billed annually. Allows you to connect your domain and add more customization.
- Performance Plan - $26 per month billed annually. Adds features that drive growth and manage operations.
7. GoDaddy - Best for integrated tools
Best for small businesses who want to easily create a website, online store, or domain-based email.
GoDaddy has the second largest market share among website builders — 27.9%.
GoDaddy boasts of an intuitive website builder. Its platform is embedded with tools that simplify building a website.
You can capitalize on GoDaddy's Artificial Design Intelligence editor or cherry-pick from a vast array of design templates, customizing them using a drag-and-drop editor.
Features and benefits
E-commerce and business tools
Beyond the conventional website-building features, GoDaddy aids you in enhancing your online sales by offering guidance on crafting product descriptions that resonate with potential customers.
This guidance emphasizes storytelling elements and unique value propositions to stand out in the crowded e-commerce space.
The platform's website builder is structured to:
- Facilitate online sales
- Manage appointments
- Integrate social media
- Execute email marketing campaigns
This is a tool for users running e-commerce websites. It helps you manage your books without needing accounting experience.
Key features of GoDaddy Bookkeeping include:
- Automatic creation and sending of invoices.
- Current-year business reports, including profit and loss.
- Ability to accept payment via credit or debit card on a mobile device.
Setting it apart from the competition, GoDaddy offers unique customer support options like SMS, call, and email.
GoDaddy has four plans that come with built-in marketing and 24/7 support.
- Basic - $6.99
- Premium - $11.99
- Commerce - $13.99
- Commerce Plus - $26.99
E-commerce features are on the Commerce plan and higher.
8. Zyro - Best for small budgets
Note, Zyro and Hostinger are related. However, they are two independent platforms.
Zyro simplifies the website-building process and serves those who seek a quick, efficient, and user-friendly platform without diving deep into coding or advanced design.
Zyro offers competitive pricing, making it accessible for small businesses and solopreneurs on a tight budget.
Feature and benefits
Zyro offers over 100 customizable, professionally designed website templates to choose from. These templates are designed to look great and be easy to use, so you can get your website up and running quickly.
Zyro’s drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to customize your website’s layout. You can move elements around the page, change colors, fonts, buttons, text, and images to create a unique look for your website. The editor is intuitive and user-friendly, so you don’t need design or coding skills to create a great-looking website.
Zyro offers innovative AI tools to help you build and grow your website. For example, the AI Writer tool can generate text for your website based on your input. This can save you time and effort if you’re not a great writer or unsure what to say on your website.
Zyro has two plans.
- The Website Plan - Ideal for creating a professional portfolio, blog, or personal website. It costs $11.99 per month. It’s currently available at a 78% discount for $2.59 per month.
- The Business Plan -Ideal for starting an eCommerce website. It costs $14.99 per month but is currently available at a 76% discount for $3.59.
Zyro also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee with every plan.
9. Shopify - Best for e-commerce
Shopify is an all-encompassing e-commerce platform designed to empower businesses of all sizes, from budding startups to well-established operations.
The core essence of Shopify is its commitment to streamlining the process of selling products online, from the web to mobile and even physical stores.
Its integration capabilities with social media platforms and various online marketplaces allow businesses to reach wider audiences and capitalize on multiple revenue streams.
Features and benefits
Unified commerce platform
With Shopify, you can unify all your commerce activities under one roof.
This consolidation eliminates the complexities of managing multiple tools, providing a cohesive solution for all your business needs.
Shopify’s Point Of Sale (POS) feature allows you to sell products offline using a card reader. This means you can sell your products in person at events, pop-ups, or in a retail store.
The POS system integrates with your online store, so you can manage your inventory and sales from one place.
Out-of-the-box SEO tools
Shopify’s CMS is designed by SEO experts to help your website rank well in search engines.
This means that your website will be optimized for search engines right out of the box without any additional work on your part. This can help you attract more organic traffic to your website.
- The Basic Shopify plan - $29 per month - For individuals and small businesses.
- The Shopify plan - $79 per month -Designed for small businesses that need more advanced features.
- The Advanced Shopify plan - $299 per month - Designed for medium to large businesses that need custom reporting.
10. 10Web - Best for building websites for multiple businesses
Like Durable, 10Web uses AI to generate an entire website with content and images for you. Unfortunately, 10Web is only a website builder. Whereas Durable comes with an arsenal of tools that can help you build your small business.
10Web allows you to materialize your vision on the web with ease and precision.
Features and benefits
With 10Web’s AI Assistant, you can generate superior content with add-ons for major WordPress plugins.
This means you can use artificial intelligence to create high-quality content for your website without needing any writing skills. The AI Assistant helps you save time and effort when creating content for your website.
Backup and restore
The thought of losing precious website data is daunting. 10Web addresses this concern by offering robust backup and restore functionalities.
This safeguards the integrity of your website data and ensures business continuity in the face of unexpected setbacks.
The feature is critical for e-commerce websites and blogs, where large volumes of data are at stake.
10Web’s cloud hosting is powered by Google Cloud. This ensures websites load at lightning speed, providing users and visitors with a seamless browsing experience.
Fast load times influence search engine rankings, so it’s an important factor to consider if you are looking to solidify your online presence.
- Personal plan - $10 per month - 1 website
- The Premium plan - $30 per month - 3 websites
- The Enterprise plan - $85 per month - 10 websites
All plans come with a 90+ PageSpeed score.
11. HostGator - Best for bloggers
With features catering to simple blogs and e-commerce websites, HostGator is suited for startups, small businesses, and individuals looking to have a digital presence without breaking the bank.
In HostGator, you simply select elements like text boxes, images, and widgets and place them wherever you wish on the page.
In addition to 150+ mobile-optimized templates, you get:
- Free domain
- Free private domain registration
- Free SSL
Features and benefits
Built-in web hosting
HostGator offers a variety of hosting plans for individuals and businesses. This means you can choose a hosting plan that fits your needs and budget, and HostGator will take care of the technical details of hosting your website.
HostGator provides a free SSL certificate to secure your website.
HostGator website builder provides features such as online payments and deposits, unlimited products and categories, and marketplace selling.
This comprehensive suite ensures you can operate seamlessly and provide a smooth shopping experience for visitors.
HostGator has four plans:
- Website - $4.95 per month
- Website + Marketing - $7.95 per month
- Online Store - $13.95 per month
- Online Marketplaces - $19.95 per month
How to choose the best website builder for your business
What factors should you consider when choosing the best website builder for your business?
Ease of use
You want an intuitive and user-friendly website builder, so you can quickly and easily create a professional-looking website without any technical knowledge.
You should be able to use it without having extensive design or coding skills.
With the increased mobile traffic globally, ensure your website displays correctly on all devices, including mobiles and tablets.
So, does the website builder provide mobile-optimized templates?
SEO and content management
The purpose of having a website is to get found by potential customers by ranking on Google search result pages.
SEO is critical in getting your website to rank higher in search engine results, making it easier for customers to find your business online.
If a website builder has SEO tools, then you should consider it.
Go for a website builder that offers affordable pricing plans that fit your budget without sacrificing features or functionality.
Best website builders for small businesses ranked
After reviewing all the website builders, here are our final scores:
Verdict: What’s the best website builder for your small business?
Establishing a solid online presence for a small business is more crucial than ever.
However, the real dilemma arises when choosing the ideal website builder amidst the overwhelming options available. Each claims to be the best fit for your unique needs.
Throughout this article, we've delved deep into the best website builders. We have analyzed the features and benefits of various platforms to provide a clear path to the right choice for you.
But if you’re still stuck on deciding, we recommend using Durable. Durable strikes a balance between functionality, ease of use, and affordability - all through the power of AI websites.
It also has all the essential features for SEO and content creation.